Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The smile I waited for....

When we first met Giraneza she had been abandoned 3 months prior.


She had not spoken, her age was guessed, and her past a mystery. 


The first home visit, I just kept telling her over and over, 
how wanted, loved, cherished she was. 

Her amazing hero of a foster mom, a widow with a young teenage son at home. 

Giraneza would play with other kids, would even get caught smiling shyly or laughing. 
But when it came to adults, there was certain fear. 


Oh, how we all longed for her to know she was wanted. Chosen. Cherished. Pursued. 
We all longed, for that huge wall around a little heart would come crashing down. 


Every time I would do a home visit, or she came with her mom to
the office I would tell her before parting. "I can't wait to see that smile!" 

Yesterday we had all the moms come to the office for a meeting. 
Which could be five more blog posts in itself. 
As I heard one share an issue she was having, and the others
encouraging her. I just sat back, and held back the tears. 

But as I was trying to explain something to them, and encourage them. 
(basically a example of worth. Taking a bill, asking what it is worth, 
crumpling it, stomping on it, and then uncrumpling it, and asking 
what is its worth? And explaining things in life can do that. They can 
leave scars, they can dig us in the ground, but that does not change our worth. 
Our sins can leave marks, and impact, and others sins can leave marks and impact
but it does not change our worth. It does not change our value.) 

But as I was saying one part of it, for emphasis I was cringing my face. 
And we heard a little giggle. 

Let me tell you, that room erupted with cheers. 
Of course we all stopped in our tracks, and kept trying 
to keep those giggles and smiles coming!


I was so honored I got to be there for her first smile, 
since she was abandoned. 

I loved how the other moms, jumped in to encourage the foster mom. 
Encourage her to keep engaging. 
To keep loving. 
That her past will not determine her future. 
That none of our past's will determine our futures. 

I dont think my feet have touched the ground since. 
Its a smile the foster mom waited 5 months for. 
A smile I waited 6 weeks for. 

And that smile.... so worth it. 
That giggle..... music. 


3 moms and and 8 babies not present in this pic. 
(we have triplets and three sets of twins in the program!) 
One mom in the hospital, one set of twins at a Dr appointment, etc...

And getting a picture of all of us.... was a bit comical all in itself. 

But watch out world. 
These women, incredible!
Their strength.... intense. 
Their hopes..... high. 
Their dreams...... getting bigger. 
Their God...... active. 

Raising the next generation of world changers. 

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
"
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away."

And just when you think you might impart a thing or two. 
You just sit there blown away, at all they are teaching you. 










No comments:

Post a Comment