Wednesday, September 3, 2014

26 by the 26th



I wanted to start this on the first of September, but as most of you know, I was in Kigali getting some other things taken care of that needed attending too. More on that later!

When I first moved here in August of 2012, I had committed to two years here in Rwanda. Obviously God had other plans, and life looked a lot different than I thought it would. That baby I went to visit every single day in the orphanage came into my home as my foster son. A little girl I adored, got to come home as my foster daughter. Older girls that were in my home when I got here, most have moved onto University and are part of other programs, as they pursue their future’s. Currently we have 5 other people in the house who live here. 

I have had the amazing opportunity to minister to two other people outside of the home as well, on a ongoing basis. One being Mama Karisa, who worked at the orphanage in the baby room, has been widowed, and has a heart condition. Now with the orphanages closing, she was recently let go, and is pursuing work elsewhere.  We have been honored to get to set a place for her at our table for nearly two years to join us for lunch. With her heart condition, she was unable to eat the food cooked there, because it had too much salt. Recently she stopped by to give me the sweetest letter, and a hand carved mama holding a baby. Who knew how much it ministered to someone to be welcomed at your table!! 


We also have been able to minister to a older orphan Angel, who has been the sole caretaker for her family. They lived by the river in a home that would often flood. She takes care of her elderly aunt, and two cousins in the home. And we were able to rent her a house for about $75 a month that is safe and no worry of the river flooding into their home. 

Obviously my ministry is changing as the orphanages close down in the country, as they work to reunify children to families, or put them in foster homes. And as the orphanage continues to close down, I am not sure what my ministry here will look like in 6 months. It is surely a time of transition in many ways. But I have a few idea’s, one which is so heavy on my heart, and I am praying to see how that will look, and how that will look as it comes into fruition. 

I have also been in the process of moving under a different NGO, which I hope to get to the states soon to do their week long training. 

So as you can see, so much has happened, and so much has changed, and so much continues to change. But in the midst of change, we have found ourselves here in a interesting financial position. Two year commitments have ended. Some sponsors personal situations have changed. Going under a different NGO, and working alongside another international NGO in the country. 

So  we are looking for new monthly sponsors. My birthday is on the 26th (How is it even possible that I will be 34? Wasn’t it just yesterday I was 25?) So for my 34th birthday on the 26th, I am looking for 26 people to do $26 a month. That is less than $1 a day! Right now we have been carried through with random one time donations that have filled in the gaps. Obviously these donations are never guaranteed and there are some months I am holding my breath.  It is amazing how the money is always there right when we need it! I have a few times, gone to bed, just saying “OK Lord, its in your hands, there is nothing I can do.” And woken up to a one time donation with just a few dollars over exactly what we needed! 

If YOU would like to donate $26 a month, you can click the button on the right side near the top of this blog for a recurring donation! Any one time donations help as well! All donations are used for daily living expenses, such a educational, medical, rent, water, power, food, etc. Though 3 of the 4 girls in the house have sponsors, sometimes, we have a gap, or unexpected fee’s that come up.
I seriously cannot minister to those in the home, or those outside the home who we have been able to without you. You are what makes this work. 


I have been so honored to be here for the two years I have been here. And who knew that after two years, I would be going into my third year? 

Please note, that once the change is complete to the new NGO, recurring donors will be asked to switch over to there.







In Christ, 
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment