Thursday, September 5, 2013

Lets catch up shall we.



Wow, its been awhile. Lets catch up some, shall we. Grab your latte from the kitchen, pull up a chair on the front porch, sorry about my son and his new drumming obsession, and even sorrier if he mistakes you for a drum, and lets catch up, shall we.

The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind. (I know, I know, I say that probably more times than you can count!) I went back to the states, and life was crazy, amazing, but I was homesick. I had almost four crazy weeks back home with my church, and my friends. I guess I was not sure what it was going to be like, but it was different. Some friendships seemed to ease right back into what they were before I left, as if I had never been gone for a year. Other places I used to feel I fit, was like trying to cram a circle peice into a square hole. In some ways it was way too easy to just fall back into routine. In so many aspects it felt normal to be back in the states, but a huge peice of me was absent. Mainly that peice of me that was absent resided in the tiny hands of Moses. (In case I haven't mentioned it lately, I kinda ADORE this child)

But the trip was cut short, as Alice was having some health problems, which have since semi resolved. It was just good to be home, and my physical self and my heart were residing in the same place once again. Which is a fantastic feeling!

Then I got to go meet my church from America, who came to Rwanda! How can I even begin to put this into words?! As we went to Alysse's school for visiting day, and I looked back and saw my pastor crammed into the bus, I remembered sitting in his office, sobbing. "I have to do SOMETHING. I cannot. WILL NOT give up on her. I refuse to let her fall through the cracks. She has so much potential and I KNOW God has huge plans for her!" And what a incredible team they were. They put up with every little bump in the road and me with grace. I put them on motto's, crammed them on buses, tested their faith by putting those buses and motto's on some interesting roads. Never once did one of them complain or refuse to do something.

It was so good to see things from a different perspective. That fresh, new eyes, perspective. As sometimes I feel like a crazed firefighter, with a single extinghisher trying to put out fires. But as I got to watch them snuggle babies, chase toddlers, get spit up on, pee'd on, and forming these deep relationships with these kids. It was a breath of fresh air that I needed. It was a new perspective, a fresh perspective that I needed. It was a breath of fresh air. I got to watch their hearts be broken, and new dreams, visions, and passions planted in the soil of their hearts that was being broken up.

I really cannot put into words that entire experience, and how amazing it was.

And now the girls, Moses, and I are all back home. And the revolving door of this house keeps on swinging. The dynamic ever changing. And still my son runs around like a crazy kid, banging empty water bottles and turning everything into a drum. Grateful for frienships here, and other Americans to have latte's with. I was given some money before the team left, and was told I had to spend it on myself. A espresso/coffee maker was one of those purchases, and has made life insanely amazing. Its been me, Jesus and a latte in the morning. Minus this morning when my son attempted to break my will at 4:30am, but has yet to tell me his demands. We are both kinda dragging our feet through the morning.

I am anxiously awaiting the next adventure. Anxiously at the edge of my seat for those from my home church, and to see what God cultivates in the broken soil of their hearts, and what springs forth from it. Gladly smiling at the revolving door, and snickering a bit at the dynamic change. Thinking about where I was last year at this time, having just spent my first month in Rwanda. Smelling the latte's, cracking open the word on the front porch, and playing some temple run when I get the chance. Looking for some new books to read, and having the biggest cuddler in my house Alice, snuggle in next to me, with a hot coacoa.

And so the last few months has been a crazy whirlwind of activity. Kids back in school. Early mornings, and some naps. It has been so blessed. And I cannot believe it has been over a year here in Rwanda. And how quickly this little life in this little corner of Rwanda keeps on changing. And even more amazed at how God keeps working on this little heart of mine and how it keeps on changing.

And in the midst of this awesome update, my son is trying to climb the bars the lock behind the door. So I better get chasing him. How does a 18 month old always seem to have himself one step ahead of a 32 year old!?

No comments:

Post a Comment